Bug tracking

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Bug tracking
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:51:02 -0400

On Apr 9, 2007, at 7:29 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

I think this is a good time to start discussing what we can do about
bug tracking for Octave.  Up until now, I've been happy to deal with
bugs just by keeping a folder of messages sent to the address@hidden
mailing list.  When a bug is fixed or I don't plan to fix it myself,
I delete the message.  But then we don't really have a useful public
record of bugs that have been reported bug not fixed.

Do people on the list have any suggestions for good bug tracking
software?  I'd like to be able to interact with it via email, but the
archive of bugs should be accessible on the web.

It seems that the Debian bug tracking system might have what we need.
Is it easy to use the Debian bug tracking system outside of the
Debiain project?  How easy/hard is it to setup and maintain?  Is there
something better?

Here is the list given in the defect tracking survey:

  BugZilla
  IssueZilla
  Scarab
  Mantis
  JIRA
  GNATS
  Bug
  Trac
  RequestTracker
  Roundup
  Debian Bug Tracking System
  Other

When I looked a couple of years ago RequestTracker was the
closest to what I wanted.  I haven't looked lately.

        - Paul