Re: 2.9.11?

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: 2.9.11?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:47:34 +0200

On 4/19/07, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
The biggest remaining issue for a testing release for me is the package
manager. Till debian, fedora and MSVC builds sign off on the package
manager I don't think 2.9.11 will be really considered as a testing
release by the distributions..So it might be nice to check on the
progress of the use of the package manager for these three, to at least
avoid any hurried 2.9.12 release if possible.

Concerning MSVC, I could get to a point where the package unpacks and
compiles OK. To achieve this, I had to introduce 2 hacks:
1) "unpack" relies on gunzip/bunzip2: even if MSYS tools are in your PATH,
those decompressing tools are usually simple shell scripts that call gzip/bzip2.
As the command is executed through "system" (so Windows command
prompt), shell scripts cannot be executed. The easy fix is to use "gzip -d"
and "bzip2 -d" instead
2) "configure" script must be called with additional settings, to correctly
define compiler; the command should looks like:
CC=cc-msvc CXX=cc-msvc AR=ar-msvc RANLIB=ranlib-msvc ./configure
Would it be OK to use octave_config_info('config_opts') to achieve this?
(I mean, is it OK for other platforms?)

Besides this, I'm still having problems with file copying; I think this is
related to the use of forward and backward slashes in paths. I'm tempted
to use forward slashes by default under MSVC, but I still have to try it.

Michael.