Re: 2.9.11?

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: 2.9.11?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:24:41 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 19-Apr-2007, Thomas Weber wrote:

| Am Donnerstag, 19. April 2007 00:16 schrieb David Bateman:
| > The biggest remaining issue for a testing release for me is the package
| > manager. Till debian, fedora and MSVC builds sign off on the package
| > manager I don't think 2.9.11 will be really considered as a testing
| > release by the distributions..So it might be nice to check on the
| > progress of the use of the package manager for these three, to at least
| > avoid any hurried 2.9.12 release if possible.
| | A new Octave release is not a problem for Debian. We will currently stay with | 2.9.9 in the testing part of the distribution, until we've figured out how to | integrate the Octave package manager [OPM] with the distribution package | manager (or, more precisely: how to use the OPM for creating the packages). | | Some ideas are available at | http://wiki.debian.org/OctavePackaging

I have no objection to modifying pkg.m to make it easier for Debian,
Fedora, or whoever to package Octave packages.  So maybe a good place
to start is to decide what features you need to have so that it will
be easy for you to build a package around one that uses pkg.m.

Can we assume that you can run Octave when you are building the deb
or RPM package?

For Fedora, that is true, and I assume for Debian also. Building the current Fedora octave-forge package always required octave to be installed because octave-forge has mkoctfile as a build-time dependency, which implied a dependency on octave.

Quentin