Re: 2.9.11?

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: 2.9.11?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:20:45 +0200

On 4/19/07, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 19-Apr-2007, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| > > CC=cc-msvc CXX=cc-msvc AR=ar-msvc RANLIB=ranlib-msvc ./configure
| > > Would it be OK to use octave_config_info('config_opts') to achieve this?
| > > (I mean, is it OK for other platforms?)
| >
| For the time being, yes. But I could probably also use:
|
|    system(['cd src; ./configure ', octave_config_info('config_opts')]);
|
| although I didn't test it yet. But the point here is that I want to use the
| same flags as those used to compile octave itself. Adding *new* flags
| is something different.

Shouldn't an Octave package use mkoctfile to compile things?  Aren't
the compiler options recorded in mkoctfile?

Yes they are, but the configure script still looks for a compiler if CC/CXX
is not defined, leading to some assumptions for the configure tests. After
some more checks, this should not be a problem, but still this is not "clean".
Here's for instance what happens with the "image" package:
- ./configure looks for a compiler in the following order: gcc, cc, cl
- it finds cl (gcc is not in the PATH or not installed); hence the default
object suffix is set to .obj
- testing for a header like jpeglib.h tests its presence and usability; presence
is OK, but usability is not: this is due to the fact that ./configure
script tries
to compile a file and test for the object file existence; at that
point, CC has been
redefined to cc-msvc (with "mkoctfile -p CC"), which by default produces .o
object file; but the configure script looks for a .obj file and the
test fails, leading
to this kind of warning

configure: WARNING: jpeglib.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: jpeglib.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: jpeglib.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to address@hidden ##

Michael.