Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:56:22 -0500

I'm getting the impression that matryoshka pointers get so excessive that one is forced to implement all plotting capability inside Octave. If every line of the lengend is to have its own handle and every stem and symbol is to have its own handle (why? so people can move an individual stem left or right a little bit?) and so on, the only thing of any use to Octave is primitives, in which case Octave has to have its own range routine, legend maker, etc., etc. One way to handle the stem issue in gnuplot for K stems is to have K different sets of data, one sample point per data set. But that is getting a bit extreme.

(more below)

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 23-Apr-2007, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| For instance, a legend in Matlab is a complete independent axes object
| which is a regular child of the figure (you can even set its view to 3D mode),
| while in octave it's a set of properties spread between the axes object and
| the line objects (Matlab does not jave "key", "keypos" or "keylabel"
| properties).

Yes, I cheated on the legend for now because I didn't want to try to
draw the legend with gnuplot.  Eventually, this will need to change so
that the legend is represented in the plot properties as a separate
small plot.  In any case, I'd be happy to consider patches for this
change, but for now it must also work with gnuplot.

It can still be programmed as a child of the figure, and it could have some of the properties. However, full blown property set probably is not doable. I doubt people will complain if they can't have a handle to the, say, right line of the legend so its color can be changed to something different than the rest.

Dan