Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:53:46 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 23-Apr-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > The stemseries object is the set of lines and markers that makes up
| > the stem plot.  This avoids having N handles for N stem lines.
| | Oh, I see; that makes sense. But no one has added 'case "stemseries"' to the | __go_draw_axes__.m file yet?

It's not quite that easy.  If you look at the object that Matlab's
stem function returns, it only says hggroup for the type.  I don't see
anywhere that it says "stemseries" or how that is determined.  Maybe
it is a hidden property?  Maybe it is magic?

I'll guess the latter. Well, I assume hggroup is just a bunch of handles grouped together. The children would be all the individual stems. I'm guessing.

| This would be like a child object then?  Analogous to
| | __go_draw_figure__ calls __go_draw_axes__ | | there might be | | __go_draw_axes__ calls __go_draw_legend__ | | ? And then the legend would have its own properties which is more an | "interpretive" kind of thing rather than really creating "line" and "text" objects?

It looks like the legend is a child of the figure, not the axes.

Well, there should be some OOP principle here. Either each element will have to have its own drawing method that __go_draw_axes__ can call, or there are going to need to be special names in the elements like "__legend__" so that __go_draw_axes__ can recognize it is a legend child and then grab info from the legend child about setting up the legend.

Dan