Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:31:32 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 23-Apr-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| I'll guess the latter. Well, I assume hggroup is just a bunch of handles | grouped together. The children would be all the individual stems. I'm guessing.

No, that's not quite the way it works.

| Well, there should be some OOP principle here. Either each element will have to | have its own drawing method that __go_draw_axes__ can call, or there are going | to need to be special names in the elements like "__legend__" so that | __go_draw_axes__ can recognize it is a legend child and then grab info from the | legend child about setting up the legend.

I don't understand what you mean by "special names in the elements
like __legend__".

If after plot() there is

  get(gcf)

      children = -1

and then after legend() there is

  get(gcf)

      children = -1 -4

and both of these children say simply "type = axes" then there is no way of knowing that one of them is a legend. So, either each of these children needs a drawing method, or they have to have special names identifying them. I guess that word is...

The child object that is the legend is a special kind of axes object
that has the "Tag" property set to legend.  So when the object is
drawn, I suppose that if it is necessary, it could be handled
specially based on the "Tag" property.

"Tag".  Why it couldn't simply be "type = legend", I'm not sure.

Dan