Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:14:34 -0400

On 24-Apr-2007, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| The base line is a (extended) line object that is a child of the axes and
| shared by all stemseries objects within the same plot.

OK, that also seems strange.  So doing something like this:

  hold on
  h1 = stem (1:2, 3:4);
  h2 = stem (5:6, 7:8);

means that

  get (h1, 'baseline') == get (h2, 'baseline')

and that the second call to stem must be looking for other stem
objects in the same axes so it can modify and store the handle of the
existing baseline object.

What is gained by this complexity?  It seems clear that what is lost
is that you can't have two stem plots with separate baselines in the
same axes.  Odd, but since I have never needed to make a plot like
this, maybe it is considered the normal thing to do.

In any case, I think we should try to make the property database
flexible enough so that these kinds of things CAN be implemented, but
NOT necessarily implement them unless someone who wants the features
cares enough to do the work.