Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:30:15 -0500

Michael Goffioul wrote:

What is gained by this complexity?  It seems clear that what is lost
is that you can't have two stem plots with separate baselines in the
same axes.  Odd, but since I have never needed to make a plot like
this, maybe it is considered the normal thing to do.

I don't know why it's so, but I guess they found a good reason to do
it so. For instance, you can change the basevalue of all stems within
an axes by changing the basevalue of the baseline (this automatically
propagates to the stem/bar series object of the axes)

I can't think of any really good reason to have a basevalue as part of the stem series. The stem is simply for the effect of enhancing the visibility of the series. That basevalue of zero is arbitrary. But to make the basevalue nonzero just seems to add to the confusion of anyone viewing such a plot.

So, I'll agree with John on this, which is to give the flexibility to set the property. But as far as implementation, one could probably skip an adjustable base value until someone asks, which isn't likely.

Dan