imread/write (Was: Re: Moving functions from octave to octave-forge?)

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: imread/write (Was: Re: Moving functions from octave to octave-forge?)
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 22:49:09 +0200

David Bateman skrev:
should definitely be looked at for importation, though the issue with
the odepkg/mex-files and the Imagemagick dependency on imread/imwrite
needs addressing. The ones in my "too hard" basket depend on someone
going to the effort of importing them.
The current implementation of imread checks if jpgread and pngread is available and uses them if possible. So, the ImageMagick dependency isn't that hard. If you don't have it, but do have lib[png|jpeg] you will still be able to read most files. We could rewrite the imwrite function to work in the same way. That way the user can read/write the following formats:

  * png, if libpng is installed.
  * jpeg, if libjpeg is installed.
  * ppm, for writing (always), and I guess we could write a ppm reader.
  * everything else, if ImageMagick is installed.

I mostly work with image processing and I'd guess that 99% of the images I read is in png, so no need for ImageMagick for me.

On an ImageMagick related note: perhaps we should use GraphicsMagick (http://www.graphicsmagick.org/) instead. It's a fork of ImageMagick that tries to keep the interface stable, making it easier to maintain code that links against *Magick.

Søren