Re: [unclassified] Re: Moving functions from octave to octave-forge?

From: Kai Habel
Subject: Re: [unclassified] Re: Moving functions from octave to octave-forge?
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 19:26:40 +0000

David Bateman schrieb:
Shai Ayal wrote:
I'll just add what's available in octplot/high_level to this list.
unless stated otherwise, they are matlab compatible with v6 graphics
-- octplot has no group objects.

Graphics Stuff:
  contourf fill fill3 gtext pareto patch pcolor peaks pie quiver scatter
  surf surfc zoom meshc

* contourf, fill, fill3, patch, pcolor, pie all need new graphics
objects for patches, the current code is just a hack to simulate it.
We now have a working contourf and clabel in octplot/high_level thanks
to work by Kai Habel. They rely on patch of course. I see now way to
do this with gnuplot. To the best of my knowledge, nothing even
approximating patch is not even planned for gnuplot
I think patch is possible with gnuplot. What I meant is that all of
these should wait for patch to be implemented in octave core before
doing much with them.. If you have something working in octplot, perhaps
you can suggest patches to the core to and least get the front-end of
patch objects included in the core..

Hello David,
are you sure that gnuplot supports patches? What I have learned from the website is that gnuplot supports arbitrary shaped rectangles and has some fill options for line plots ..., but polygons? Can you give me a pointer what you have in mind?

The contourf function in octplot (or in general) needs patch objects of arbitrary shape. This includes concave polygons, the octplot implementation uses the OpenGL utilities lib (GLU) for polygon tesselation and plotting.

Kai