Re: differences matlab vs octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: differences matlab vs octave
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 14:24:47 +0200

Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
> Thank you very much David.
>
> Can we put this in the Octave wiki and in wikibook as "definitive"
> places that could allow for rapid change ?
>
> Nicolas

That was one of the reasons I sent it. I'd suggest adding

<quote>
* The & and | operators in Matlab short-circuit when included in an if
statemant and not otherwise. Whereas in Octave only the && and ||
short circuit. This is due to the absence of && and || in Matlab
till recently. Note that this means that

  if (a | b)
  end

and

  t = a | b;
  if t
  end

are different in Matlab. This is really a matlab bug, but there is too
much code out there that relies on this behavior to change it. Prefer
the || and && operators in if statements if possible.
</quote>

as well the cover the concern of Tom..

Regards
David