Re: sockets

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: sockets
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 14:44:29 +0200

Paul Kienzle wrote:

On May 14, 2007, at 8:25 PM, Tom Holroyd wrote:

I finally added the sockets package to the octave-forge CVS (in main/sockets).

This allows only fairly rudimentary socket support at the moment.
You can send byte strings back and forth.

The testing code uses num2str and so on, and there are some routines for serializing a matrix; the recent changes to int8() allowing strings would make that even easier. Eventually it should be changed to handle more types natively.

listen/send in sockets will conflict with listen/send in miscellaneous.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one using it, but changing will mean user retraining. I'll ask on octave-help.

You may want to make send/recv reliable --- from my reading of the man pages the functions can stop before all the requested bytes are read.

In general I prefer a higher level interfaces (e.g., Tcl) which hides the complexity of dealing with operating systems rather than a low level interface (e.g., Python). This is especially bad when different operating systems provide different interfaces, and the scripting language blindly projects them into the scripts, making the developer test for specific systems in their code.

- Paul

We could also add a "Conflicts" tag to the description file so that both can't be installed at the same time..

D.