Re: pkg manager improvement?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: pkg manager improvement?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 12:38:43 +0200

Michael Goffioul skrev:
Hi,

After having used the package manager under Win32, I thought about 2
possible modifications. Maybe these are already possible, but I didn't find
how to achieve it.

1) is it possible to modify the autoload status of a package that is already
installed? I found that adding a .autoload file in packinfo dir is
enough, however,
it would be better to provide an interface to it through pkg.m (you could then
also modify the data structure stored in global_list and/or local_list)
Should be easy to do. From the command line you can do
  packages = pkg("list");
  packages{1}.autoload = "Yes";
And then save that structure to .octaverc. This should cause package #1 to be autoloaded. It should be easy to add such a functionality to pkg.m

2) from a packaging point of view, it would be nice to be able to install
a pre-compiled package into the right location and simply tell the package
manager to update its internal data structure, without any compilation step
If you precompile a package and but the files that need to be distributed in the 'inst' directory in a package the compiled files should also be installed when you install the package. So there really isn't any difference between a binary and a source package (from the package managers point of view). So this should be possible without any changes to pkg.m. It would however be nice to have a
  pkg build_binary
option in pkg.m that created a binary package from a source package. (Shouldn't be too hard to add).

Søren