Re: pkg manager improvement?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: pkg manager improvement?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:23:45 +0200

Michael Goffioul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After having used the package manager under Win32, I thought about 2
> possible modifications. Maybe these are already possible, but I didn't find
> how to achieve it.
>
> 1) is it possible to modify the autoload status of a package that is
> already
> installed? I found that adding a .autoload file in packinfo dir is
> enough, however,
> it would be better to provide an interface to it through pkg.m (you
> could then
> also modify the data structure stored in global_list and/or local_list)

Yes that isn't a bad feature to have. It might need a new pkg target
though.. I'd though to add an install option to force local/global
installation as well as there seems to be issues with the issuperuser
function

> 2) from a packaging point of view, it would be nice to be able to install
> a pre-compiled package into the right location and simply tell the package
> manager to update its internal data structure, without any compilation step

Create a binary package with everything in the inst/ directory.. That is
what I do with the srpms in octave-forge..

D.