Re: pkg manager improvement?

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: pkg manager improvement?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 21:38:37 +0200

On 5/20/07, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
Yes that isn't a bad feature to have. It might need a new pkg target
though.. I'd though to add an install option to force local/global
installation as well as there seems to be issues with the issuperuser
function

> 2) from a packaging point of view, it would be nice to be able to install
> a pre-compiled package into the right location and simply tell the package
> manager to update its internal data structure, without any compilation step

Create a binary package with everything in the inst/ directory.. That is
what I do with the srpms in octave-forge..

I also thought about a useful (IMO) feature: the ability to recreate
the global_list
data structure from the packages directory (I guess that loading
packinfo/DESCRIPTION and checking for packinfo/.autoload is enough).
In the
context of the Windows installer, this would ease my work as I would just have
to install the selected packages (selected in the installer) and in a final step
to run "pkg admin -rebuild" (for instance) to create the global_list.
This could also
be used to recover from any damaged global_list file.

Michael.