Re: pkg manager and installing binary files (DLL)

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: pkg manager and installing binary files (DLL)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 21:49:31 +0200

On 5/20/07, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
Then this is another reason to hate windows. On unix systems I don't
need the separate library as I can link to the oct-file, and even if I
did I could load it from a path changed from a running version of Octave.

There is no sensible way to do this under windows then, as the fixed.dll
would have to be copied to the octave install directory and not a
directory private to the fixed package.

Michael, its your call.. If you want to install fixed.dll beside
octave.dll, thats fine with me. Otherwise I'll just build the dll into
fixed.oct and Windows users won't be able to use the fixed type from
within an oct-file...

Nothing prevents you to link against an oct-file, provided that the oct-file
exports the required symbols. So, theoretically, you could merge fixed.oct
and octave_fixed.dll and make fixed.oct exports the symbols of the DLL.
This creates an import lib file that you can use to link against fixed.oct.

I'll try to investigate this; this probably requires some hacks in the
Makefile's.
As an easy workaround, for the time being, I'd copy the DLL to the octave
bin directory in on_install.m (and remove it in on_uninstall.m). This will only
affect the Win32 version of octave anyway.

Michael.