Re: Build failure [Re: Octave 2.9.11 available for ftp]

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Build failure [Re: Octave 2.9.11 available for ftp]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:07:59 -0400

On 22-May-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| David Bateman wrote:
| >
| > Can you remove the doc/interpreter/conf.texi file as it hardcodes
| > abs_top_srcdir, etc which causes the documentation build to fail..
| >
| There also appears to be a number of extra *.texi files in
| doc/interpreter that should also be removed..

In the past, we distributed the generated .texi files and the
formatted files so that Make would not try to rebuild the formatted
files unless something changed (I believe this is the behavior that
the GNU coding standards specify).  If we delete these files from the
distribution, then the documentation will always be rebuilt.  Is this
an acceptable change, or should we try to find a way to avoid
rebuilding the formatted files?  I think I would still include the
formatted files in the distribution so it would be possible to
download the tar file and read the documentation without needing to
build anything.