Re: Relocatable octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Relocatable octave
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 14:02:04 -0400

On 28-May-2007, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| On 5/28/07, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:
| > Context: We would like to construct an octave.app application which
| > acts like I normal macintosh application.  To do this we need to be
| > able to run octave no matter where it is installed.
| >
| > On May 28, 2007, at 4:46 AM, Thomas Treichl wrote:
| >
| > > a) In the liboctave.dylib the octave_config_info informations eg.
| > >
| > >   octave:1> octave_config_info ('bindir')
| > >
| > > are hardcoded, ie. if a octave function uses one of this informations
| > > then it may fail because of a path that points into my temporary
| > > install directory. I used sed to replace these paths but then
| > > liboctave.dylib is destroyed.
| >
| > I agree that you don't want to modify liboctave.dylib using sed.
|
| I don't know if this is very relevant, but I had a similar problem with Win32
| version of octave. This has been solved by additional substitution, see
| toplev.cc and sysdep.cc (w32_set_octave_home): the idea is to define
| OCTAVE_HOME automatically at startup.

Yes, if setting OCTAVE_HOME before starting Octave is not sufficient
to allow it to be installed in any directory and still work, then
please report the details of the bug.  If you move the entire Octave
installation and preserve the relative directory structure, then I
don't think you should have to set individual variables like
EXEC_PATH.