Re: Octave/Win32 new binary package (2.9.12)

From: Olli Saarela
Subject: Re: Octave/Win32 new binary package (2.9.12)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 10:50:43 +0300

error: unable to find Java Runtime Environment

Guess what? You'll need Java to run the java-based backend... :-)
More seriously, do you have JRE installed? OTOH, I should also make the
installer smarter and not install by default java-based backend if Java is
not detected on the target system.

Or you might add a notification that tells the user to download and install JRE. An average user doesn't know whether the Octave package is supposed to contain all the necessary components. (I must be spoiled after using Windows for quite a few years :-) Anyway, it could be a barrier for several potential users if installing and starting Octave just pops up a blank window. Not even an error message without some further user action.

Another minor observation: Uninstall didn't remove start menu items on
Vista (even with JRE installed before installing & uninstalling Octave). On XP this worked as expected.

Olli