Re: pkg dependencies

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: pkg dependencies
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:58:02 +0200

On 6/5/07, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Indeed. I looked at your patch and was wondering if you coulnd't do
> the same
> with "save_in_order" instead of "load_in_order". This wouldn't
> increase the
> octave startup time (I guess load_in_order does), with the same result.
>
> Michael.

Yes I thought about that, but then you also have to deal with the case

pkg install jhandles-0.2.0.tar.gz java-1.2.0.tar.gz

as the install option also automatically includes the packages on the
path. This was why I went the load_in_order route.. To have
save_in_order we'd then have two choices. The easiest is just to remove
the above automatic inclusion of installed packages and make the use
call "pkg load" after the install. Otherwise we might save the package
files in the install process prior to call the load on the newly
installed packages.

I always found weird that if I call "pkg install -noauto pkgname", then the
package gets loaded anyway. I'd make the loaded state after installation
depending on the autoload state of the package. But then, you need some
additional steps if you want to support multi-install as the example above
and use save_in_order.

Michael.