Re: Mingw32 compiled binaries

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Mingw32 compiled binaries
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:22:33 +0200

On 6/6/07, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
Looking at Michael's notes in octave-forge/admin/Windows/msvc I don't
think he has an automatic build process for all of Octave and its
dependencies, though it appears he does for octave-forge. Correct me if
I'm wrong Michael...

No, you're right. Actually, the compilation script I write for octave-forge is
not used anymore, now that I'm using the regular package manager. I still
use it only to generate the NSI files (it searches packages, looks if
it's installed
and produce the NSI entry accordingly).
Octave alone compiles almost automatically from the configure script, but it
still needs some manual steps due to the nightmare of generating documentation
using an heterogeneous system as I have (MSYS+MiKTeX+GnuWin32): texi2dvi
from MSYS/GnuWin32 uses MSYS-like paths, which are not understood by
MiKTeX (moreover, MiKTeX does not honor TEXINPUTS variable); OTOH texi2dvi
from MiKTeX does not support --output flag and does not use TEXINPUTS.

I've put some information on how to compile octave under MSVC on octave CVS
in README.MSVC. There's also compilation instructions for all dependent
libraries in octave-forge/admin/Windows/msvc/libs/ along with patches. I'm not
recompiling those libs very often (almost never) so I don't think
about a compilation
script for them. OTOH, if I can get the texi2dvi problem solved, I'll problably
work on a octave/octave-forge compilation script to easily/quickly generate a
release package.

In any case Michael, if you can give a quick
tutorial of your full build process that would be helpful to a number of
people..

All information is in
http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/octave/README.MSVC?rev=1.3
http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge/admin/Windows/msvc/README?revision=1.1&view=markup