Re: Mingw32 compiled binaries

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Mingw32 compiled binaries
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:46:34 +0200

Michael Goffioul wrote:
> On 6/6/07, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Looking at Michael's notes in octave-forge/admin/Windows/msvc I don't
>> think he has an automatic build process for all of Octave and its
>> dependencies, though it appears he does for octave-forge. Correct me if
>> I'm wrong Michael...
>
> No, you're right. Actually, the compilation script I write for
> octave-forge is
> not used anymore, now that I'm using the regular package manager. I still
> use it only to generate the NSI files (it searches packages, looks if
> it's installed
> and produce the NSI entry accordingly).
> Octave alone compiles almost automatically from the configure script,
> but it
> still needs some manual steps due to the nightmare of generating
> documentation
> using an heterogeneous system as I have (MSYS+MiKTeX+GnuWin32): texi2dvi
> from MSYS/GnuWin32 uses MSYS-like paths, which are not understood by
> MiKTeX (moreover, MiKTeX does not honor TEXINPUTS variable); OTOH texi2dvi
> from MiKTeX does not support --output flag and does not use TEXINPUTS.
>
> I've put some information on how to compile octave under MSVC on octave CVS
> in README.MSVC. There's also compilation instructions for all dependent
> libraries in octave-forge/admin/Windows/msvc/libs/ along with patches.
> I'm not
> recompiling those libs very often (almost never) so I don't think
> about a compilation
> script for them. OTOH, if I can get the texi2dvi problem solved, I'll
> problably
> work on a octave/octave-forge compilation script to easily/quickly
> generate a
> release package.
>
>> In any case Michael, if you can give a quick
>> tutorial of your full build process that would be helpful to a number of
>> people..
>
> All information is in
> http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/octave/README.MSVC?rev=1.3
> http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge/admin/Windows/msvc/README?revision=1.1&view=markup
>
> http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge/admin/Windows/msvc/libs/
>

> Michael.

I tried to create an automatic build process in the attachment to the
message

http://www.nabble.com/Building-Octave-for-Windows-with-MinGW-tf2377593.html#a6633954

However, this is very old. It used wget, to download the packages, had
the patches I needed and then built everything. I suppose it could be
updated and adapted to MSVC. Of course, given that the source code
changes and that the location of the code changes this process is
fragile. But its easier to update the script than to reproduce
everything manually. :-)

D.