Re: Mingw32 compiled binaries

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: Mingw32 compiled binaries
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:11:25 +0200

> On 6/6/07, Benjamin Lindner <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Can you provide patches? It might be commited directly to CVS.
> >
> > I made two changes, one straightforward and one possibly to be discussed
> > 1) I replaced NPOS by std::string::npos, as NPOS is not defined in
> mingw's g++
>
> NPOS should be #define'd in config.h from octave, which is included in
> mkoctfile.cc. Note that to compile mkoctfile.exe, I hacked octMakefile.in
> to do the same substitution as for mkoctfile.in; then I copy
> mkoctfile.cc.in
> into octave top source dir and do "make -f octMakefile mkoctfile.exe"

I did something similar to my configure files, I changed it such that
in the normal build process mkoctfile.exe gets built.

> > 2) I also dropped the FLIBS variable from the build command. I did
> > this because FLIBS contains paths valid only on the build system. But
> > the user of a (hypothetic) package need not have the same paths with
> > his mingw installation, so I dropped it. The whole octave installation
> > is relocatable, but these paths are hardwired  (they are taken from the
> > compiler's configuration, so are not related to octave's installation
> > directory). I found that omitting FLIBS renders an equally working
> > mkoctfile, so I dropped it.
>
> I cannot drop it as under my system, FLIBS contains the reference
> to libf2c.

Aha, well, as I said this is a not-to-be-really-generally-applied change.
But doesn't the fortran compiler (or the f2c converter) automatically add
its required libraries? Why do I need to specify them explicitly in the
first place?
Is there a way to seperate the hardwired paths from the libraries?

I forgot the 3rd part of my patch of mkoctfile.cc.
3) I have added the ${OCTAVE_PREFIX}/lib directory to the library search
path - but this you already did more elegantly in the configure
script recently, am I right?

benjamin