Re: Octave Packaging

From: dbateman
Subject: Re: Octave Packaging
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:19:04 -0700 (PDT)

Soren Hauberg wrote:

> David Bateman skrev:
>> This is a shame. I'd hoped that the sample SRPM and SPEC I'd sent
>> (attached for those interested), that I'm currently using on my own
>> machine now with the premise of eating my own dog food, would be
>> sufficient to show the way for a debian package. I have no debian
>> machine to test with or experience in debian packaging and so cn't
>> easily do the debian packaging myself. Otherwise I would already have
>> produced a debian source package for you to examine.
> David,
>    I agree with what you have to say. I do believe your arguments would
> be stronger if we actually had the code to produce .deb's (a
> chicken-and-egg problem). Could you alter your RPM script to produce the
> correct directory/file structure for .deb's? Ignore issues such as
> 'on_uninstall' etc. Perhaps just handle packages that only contain .m
> files? I assume this would be fairly simple, and I think it would make
> your points stronger if we had a simple prototype that would give some
> insights from a debian packaging point-of-view.

I really think the issue is easy as I believed my SPEC file showed. I have
no idea what a debian source package even looks like. I can see two ways
this might advance from here. Either as you suggest I can try and create a
debian package myself as an example. Or alternative one of the RPM based
platforms might adopt and adapt my existing SRPM builds. I believe Quentin
was concentrating on the Fedora 6 release till recently with Octave 2.9.9
and so hasn't looked at the package manager at all. I'd really appreciate an
RPM packagers comments on the Octave package manager and my SRPMs and what
needs to be done to make them acceptable

I'll also look at debian packaging and try to create a debian package to
convince you Thomas as its clear my SRPMS haven't.

> Soren
>
> P.S. If you need access to a debian system, can't you simply download a
> LiveCD? They are all over the net nowadays...

Yes, but then I need to learn how to get Octave 2.9.12 installed using the
debian package manager.... Perhaps its just easier for me to get the debian
octave source package for 2.9.12, disable some of the harder dependencies
(SuiteSparse) and go from there...

D.