Re: Octave Packaging

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave Packaging
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:52:46 -0400

On Jun 11, 2007, at 11:51 AM, David Bateman wrote:

Thomas,

I think this thread needs to be opened for wider discussion. As you are basically question the need for Octave to have a package manager at all. This is something that was extensively discussed over the last few years and the consensus was that it is something that is needed to make distribution of software for Octave easier for users. This goal should also make distribution not difficult for debian either.

Thomas,

Here's a suggestion: you could write a generic configure script (not generated by autoconf) and Makefile which call the octave package manager to do the work. These could be inserted automatically by the pkg dist command. This would also work for bundles of packages.

Having these files means that the sysadmin who doesn't know the details of Octave but still needs to support her users can write:

        ./configure; make; make install

as usual and have everything just work (after resolving dependencies).

Hopefully we can handle the scaling problem nicely as the number of packages goes up, though this will mean including even more features (e.g., centralized distribution and dependencies) that are currently handled by Linux distributions.

        - Paul