Re: Octave reputation

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave reputation
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:44:36 +0200

Søren Hauberg wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was just talking to one of my professors about how much more
> wonderful Octave is compared to Matlab. And he made the following
> statements against octave:
>
> 1) Octave isn't developed any more.
> 2) Octave doesn't have any of the toolboxes that matlab has.
>
> Now both of these statements are completely wrong which I told him,
> but that's not the point. The point is that people (I've heard these
> arguments several times before) _think_ these statements are correct.
>   I'm guessing that statement 1 is because there hasn't been a stable
> release in years. Octave 3.0 will fix that (yay!).
>   I don't really know why Octave-forge is unknown.
>   Anyway, I'm writing this mail to ask how we should avoid people
> making these statements in the future? The way I see it, we should
>
> 1) Have stable releases more often (after 3.0 of course).
> 2) Put more visible links to Octave-Forge on the Octave website.
>
> Anyway, I just want to let out some steam. I get really annoyed when
> people avoid Octave simply because of its reputation.
>
> Søren

These problems will be self-correcting with a larger number of Octave
users. I see the major brakes to a larger user base at the moment being
a good windows binary and better matlab compatible graphics, both of
which are being worked on.. I think its these rather than any "stable"
3.0 release that will impact the acceptance of Octave..

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary