Re: Octave reputation

From: Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) [E]
Subject: Re: Octave reputation
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:04:30 -0400

Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:
... very few
people will even think it's immoral to use an unlicensed copy of
Matlab.

That may be your perception, but trust me, there are many people who do think
it is immoral, not to mention the illegality of pirated software. And if I
might add, this sort of attitude makes the commercial vendors even more
unhappy, and less likely to be cooperative with open source projects.

Nobody will check the status of your Matlab license agreement
if you publish a paper in which you acknowledge your use of Matlab.

But what if they do?

Indeed, if proprietary software really got paid as much as its license
agreements say it needs to be paid, or used as restrictively as the
same licenses say, nobody would use it. We all know it's overpriced.

Some of us do pay those prices (and we don't like being reminded of it).

Few of us have read the licenses enough to know how ridiculous their
terms are.

Again, you are speaking for yourself only.

Unlicensed copies of Matlab and the Mathworks mostly
turning a blind eye towards copyright infringements is a big reason
for why Matlab turned into an industry standard. The same goes for
many other pieces of proprietary software as industry standards, like
Photoshop.

That's ridiculous.

--
Tom Holroyd, Ph.D.
"The fundamentally misconceived nature versus nurture debate should be