Re: Octave reputation

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave reputation
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:04:00 +0200

Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 13/06/07, Aaron Birenboim <address@hidden> wrote:
>> WAAAY overpriced at MatLab.
>
> Money isn't the issue. Money is never the issue. If you really want to
> use Matlab and Simulink, just get a copy from the Pirate Bay, or IRC
> channels, or thereabouts. Nobody will prosecute you, and very few
> people will even think it's immoral to use an unlicensed copy of
> Matlab. Nobody will check the status of your Matlab license agreement
> if you publish a paper in which you acknowledge your use of Matlab.

Jordi,

My company does pay the full price for all the matlab products it uses,
and having a pirate copy on your work computer would be subject to
discipline. We also respect all license terms, including the stupid one
that prevents us from having global license servers and sharing the
licenses across time zones, effectively tripling the effective cost of
each license.

D.