Re: Request for indexing fix

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Request for indexing fix
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:52:15 -0400

On 14-Jun-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| >   x = 1:100;
| >
| >   x(char (57))  -->  57
| >   x(char (58))  -->  1:100
|
| Is that with matlab? If so then the proposed patch is compatible,

Yes.

| Well I could replace
|
| idx(1) = ":"
|
| with
|
| idx(1) = 1:size(x,1);
|
| but if matlab accepts the previous version, this will probably come up
| again as a bug sometime in the future. Tell me what you want to do and
| I'll make the fix either way...

I seem to recall coming across this feature once before, but I can't
remember if it was a bug report or just from reading some code or
docs.  So I guess we should go with compatibility here.  After all,
people keep calling Octave a "clone".  Why disappoint by prefering
consistent behavior over bug-for-bug compatibility?  :-/