Re: Octave reputation

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave reputation
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:14:17 -0400

On Jun 13, 2007, at 10:44 AM, David Bateman wrote:

Søren Hauberg wrote:
Hi,
  I was just talking to one of my professors about how much more
wonderful Octave is compared to Matlab. And he made the following
statements against octave:

1) Octave isn't developed any more.
2) Octave doesn't have any of the toolboxes that matlab has.

These problems will be self-correcting with a larger number of Octave users. I see the major brakes to a larger user base at the moment being a good windows binary and better matlab compatible graphics, both of which are being worked on.. I think its these rather than any "stable" 3.0 release that will impact the acceptance of Octave..

An ecosystem for contributed software will also help --- lots of stuff out there will work for octave with a little tweaking, and having an easy way to distribute it will be wonderful. Thank you both for all your work on the package manager.

        - Paul