Re: Octave reputation

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave reputation
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:03:32 -0500

I will respond to each one of the people who wrote to me. I tend to be
opinionated, and this may come off as flamish or trollish, although I
candidly state that this is not my intention. It may also be highly
offtopic, in which case please point it out to me, and I'll stay put
and promise not to follow up with further remarks on this subject.

One small note, regarding free beer vs free speech. Since I firmly
believe that the only freedom that matters is linguistic, not
alcoholic, in all that follows I say "free" only in its freedom
sense. If I need to say "free of charge", I will say "gratis", a Latin
word that is nevertheless found in English dictionaries.

Now I respond, very long-windedly:

On 13/06/07, Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) wrote:
Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:
> ... very few people will even think it's immoral to use an
> unlicensed copy of Matlab.

That may be your perception, but trust me, there are many people who
do think it is immoral,

There may be many, but judging by the amount of people who copy music
around or give proprietary software for their friends to copy, or even
by the general coolness of copyright infringement as popularised by
warez groups or the Pirate Bay, there are more people who do not
believe this kind of copyright infringement to be immoral.

The viewpoint that copyright infringement is acceptable is even more
widespread in places like India, China, Russia, Eastern Europe, and
Brazil along with the rest of Latin America, and even here in my
native México. I personally don't know anyone who will not buy copied
music CDs off the street or who thinks that anyone who buys such CDs
is committing an immoral act, or at least immoral enough to not do it.

I understand where you are coming from, though. As a US government
worker in a wealthy country where copyright infringement is less
common (but still common), it's easy to believe that the few people
who openly commit copyright infringement are committing an immoral
act. Indeed, after I came back to México after four years of
university education in Canada, I too held such beliefs. However, all
attempts to justify my beliefs of the time to my compatriots were met
with ridicule and contempt. Eventually I came to the conclusion that
my fellow Mexicans were right, that copyright law isn't keeping up
with current means of reproduction of bitstreams and that sharing what
is essentially an inexhaustible product once it's produced (sharing
bitstreams is different from sharing apples) does not take away from
anyone else. Scarcity, the most fundamental rule of economics, is
violated when it comes to modern bitstreams, unless you artificially
attempt to enforce scarcity via legal means, which is one thing
copyright law attempts to do.