Re: distributing Octave in August

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: distributing Octave in August
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:59:34 +0200

> Dear maintainers,
>
> I have nearly completed a project to put together a system
> for statistics that can be run from DVD (or an iPod) on Macs
> and PCs.  At the start of August I will be distributing DVDs based on
> this project at the Joint Statistical Meetings.
>
> I think adding Octave could make this DVD a more interesting item to
> bring home for statisticians who are in departments of Mathematics.
> However: this DVD is made possible by Emacs, which serves as the unifying
> 'IDE' and the site of the cross-platform configuration scripts. MSVC
> Octave on
> Windows does not return a prompt to Emacs, and thus does not work.
> (I would prefer the new MINGW32 binary, does that work? Where can I find
> it?)

The mingw32 binary is still work-in-progress.
I did it in a first step as a proof of principle, but it's not a
distributable package yet. So you cannot download it right now.
I'm working on putting together the pieces and steps I took into a
hopefully reusable-by-others workflow/package.
Since I'm doing it side-by-side with finalizing my PhD be patient with me :)

benjamin