Re: distributing Octave in August

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: distributing Octave in August
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:54:51 -0400

On 15-Jun-2007, address@hidden wrote:

| On 14:41 Fri 15 Jun     , John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On 15-Jun-2007, Olli Saarela wrote:

| > |
> [...]
Octave on
| > |
| > | Have you tried starting octave with
| > |   octave --interactive
| > | It works for my current setup (Octave 2.9.12-3/MSVC, Windows XP, Xemacs
| > |   21.4.19).
| >
| > Isn't --interactive (maybe -i) already specified in the command line
| > startup options used by octave-inf.el?
| >
| > jwe
| --interactive worked in shell.
| However, this appears to be  the relevant section of octave-inf.el:
| (defun inferior-octave-startup ()
|   "Start an inferior Octave process."
|     (let ((proc (comint-exec-1
|     (substring inferior-octave-buffer 1 -1)
|     inferior-octave-buffer
|     inferior-octave-program
|     (append (list "-i" "--no-line-editing")
|             inferior-octave-startup-args))))

OK, since -i and --interactive mean the same thing, I would expect
this to work properly.  I see:

  octave> argv
  ans =

  {
    [1,1] = -i
    [2,1] = --no-line-editing
  }

after running M-x run-octave in Emacs (not Windows though) so it seems
to be passing the arguments correctly.  What happens for you?  If you
are not getting a prompt, does the following work for you?

(This message was sent to the list but I don't see it in the archive.
It was held for moderator approval, but is no longer in the queue, so
I don't know what happened to it.)