Re: distributing Octave in August

From: poti
Subject: Re: distributing Octave in August
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:15:50 -0400

On 16:54 Fri 15 Jun     , John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 15-Jun-2007, address@hidden wrote:
>
> OK, since -i and --interactive mean the same thing, I would expect
> this to work properly.  I see:
>
>   octave> argv
>   ans =
>
>   {
>     [1,1] = -i
>     [2,1] = --no-line-editing
>   }
>
> after running M-x run-octave in Emacs (not Windows though) so it seems
> to be passing the arguments correctly.  What happens for you?
Emacs freezes after M-x run-octave when it gets (apparently) just past
inferior-octave.

> If you are not getting a prompt, does the following work for you?
>
>   5) Added the following line to my .octaverc:
>
>   PS1(">> ");

This works. Once I am in octave with the >> prompt, argv gives exactly
the output you posted, quoted above.

> If not, I think you will have to debug why this is not
> happening.  I don't use Windows and I don't have time to do it at the
> moment anyway.

I tried (debug-on-entry inferior-octave), but I guess there is something
I do not quite understand about when a form can be debugged since I get
(void-variable inferior-octave) even when I have the octave session
sitting in the other buffer. I am sorry for asking simple questions, but
I am starting to run short on time on several commitments so appreciate
pointers I would otherwise have dug up the right way myself.