Why is NaN used as extrapolation value?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Why is NaN used as extrapolation value?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:24:02 +0200

Hi,
The current interpolation functions all use NaN as extrapolation value. I know that Matlab does this, which (I guess) is why we do it. But since we have NA why isn't that used? Using NA as default extrapolation value should be Matlab compatible (right?) and would IMHO make more sense.

Søren

P.S. Since I brought it up I'll be happy to send patches if requested (they should be damn easy to produce...)