individual colormaps per subplots

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: individual colormaps per subplots
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:01:57 -0400

On 19-Jun-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| Attached is a patch that moves the colormap from figure to axes.  I'm
guessing it wouldn't be too uncommon for a user to want to have two images on
the screen with different colormaps.  For example:

| subplot(2,1,1);
| image;
| colormap(gray(64));
| subplot(2,1,2);
| image;
| colormap(ocean(64));
|
| This requires the latest CVS version of gnuplot as there was just an upgrade
to allow multiple colormaps in X11.  Most other file-based terminals should
work.  There may be some GUI-based terminals that don't yet work.  If so, let
me know.

This might be a nice feature to have, but in Matlab, colormap is a
property of the figure, not the axes.  So I think your patch will
break any Matlab code that expects to be able to do

  set (gcf, 'colormap', ...);