Re: individual colormaps per subplots

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: individual colormaps per subplots
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:11:25 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 19-Jun-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| Attached is a patch that moves the colormap from figure to axes.  I'm
guessing it wouldn't be too uncommon for a user to want to have two images on
the screen with different colormaps.  For example:
| | subplot(2,1,1);
| image;
| colormap(gray(64));
| subplot(2,1,2);
| image;
| colormap(ocean(64));
| | This requires the latest CVS version of gnuplot as there was just an upgrade to allow multiple colormaps in X11. Most other file-based terminals should work. There may be some GUI-based terminals that don't yet work. If so, let me know.

This might be a nice feature to have, but in Matlab, colormap is a
property of the figure, not the axes.

I was wondering that.  (This is why I'm not in the 100% compatibility camp.)

 So I think your patch will
break any Matlab code that expects to be able to do

  set (gcf, 'colormap', ...);

Well, this syntax could be configured to look through all the axes on the plot
and set those colormaps to the same thing.  The problem would be

 get (gcf, 'colormap', ...)

Dan