Re: bitshift of int8, int16, etc?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: bitshift of int8, int16, etc?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:43:41 +0200

David Bateman skrev:
Do we need to know the overflow of each and every element, or just that
an overflow occurred? I'd thought more the second case and then just have

warning ("Octave:bitshift_overflow", "on")

to enable the warning if desired. The fact is that as matlab doesn't
implement this yet, whatever we choose to do will be wrong in any case
and need modifying in the long run. So simple is probably better..
I don't use these bit operators, so you should just ignore the rest of this post... I just wanted to say that I really hate warnings. It's these annoying things that tell you that you results will be wrong, but they won't let you do anything about it. If only you could catch warnings...