Re: [OctDev] Need for JHandles/Linux tester

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Need for JHandles/Linux tester
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 23:22:41 +0200

On 7/7/07, Thomas Treichl <address@hidden> wrote:
Paul, Michael,

as you expected java can be installed fine now via 'pkg install
<java-VER.tar.gz>' also on my i386 Mac. But I was not successful with bringing
jhandles working... The 'f.dispose ()' doesn't close my window (once again as
expected).

I don't think this is expected. If I read this correctly
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/awt/Window.html#dispose()
this should make the window undisplayable and release any system
resource. Under Windows and Linux, this effectively destroys the window.
I don't know why this doesn't work under Mac OSX... (maybe some threading
issues).

'./configure && make' does a good job then. But however I startup octave I get a
'jogl not found' error (doesn't matter if I export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or PATH
environment).

  warning: JOGL could not be found, jhandles is not loaded
  warning: JOGL could not be found, jhandles is not loaded
  octave-2.9.12:1> getenv ("DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH")
  ans = /Applications/octave.app/Contents/Resources/lib/octave-2.9.12:
    /Applications/octave.app/Contents/Resources/lib:
    /Users/Me/tmp/jogl-1.1.1-pre-20070707-macosx-universal/lib/
  octave-2.9.12:2>

In JOGL, you have 2 parts: the jar file jogl.jar, and some native libraries.
At runtime, the jogl.jar is expected to be found in EXEC_PATH (see
PKG_ADD of jhandles package). The native libraries are expected to be
found in a location where the system can find them: under Mac OSX, I
guess they should be in DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH (under Linux, it's under
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and under Windows it's under PATH)
The warning you see above is generated in PKG_ADD, because the following
fails: file_in_path(EXEC_PATH, "jogl.jar").

Michael.