Re: [OctDev] Need for JHandles/Linux tester

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Need for JHandles/Linux tester
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 00:02:25 +0200

On 7/7/07, Thomas Treichl <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks Michael,

meanwhile I was able to compile jhandles but I don't know if the real problem is
somewhere else in the java package before (it seems to me...):

If I run the very short example:

  f = java_new('java.awt.Frame')
  f.show(); % this shows the window

and I try to resize the window with my mouse that is displayed then I get the
wait-mouse-pointer-icon (the Mac color-wheel) that doesn't disappear anymore (I
cannot see this behavior on the Linux box and I also am able to resize the
window on my Linux box with the mouse). I'm not able to resize that window with
the mouse on Mac but I'm able to resize it with your 'f.setSize' command. If I
try to call 'exit' then octave hangs and I can't get out without <ctrl><c>
-3times-. If I try to call java_exit before then this function does not
terminate - it also hangs. I am sorry to can't help more at the moment, I don't
know what's going wrong here.

In the meantime, I found this link
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2147.html#TNTAG31
which states that starting JVM from native code (as is done by my java package)
should be done in a separate thread if the java code will use AWT/Swing event
queue. This might explain the problems encountered. Does anybody feel
lucky enough to give it a try and implement it in the java package to see if
it behaves better? (I don't have MacOSX, it would be difficult for me...)

Michael.