Re: How to launch Octave with its GUI ?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: How to launch Octave with its GUI ?
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:30:56 -0500

Moving this discussion to the dev list...

On 30/07/07, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 30-Jul-2007, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | QtOctave looks like a really promising GUI, now that Octave
> | Workshop is seemingly abandoned (and it was Windows-only, blah).
>
> I just installed it from the Debian package,

Woohoo. :-)

> and although it puts up a window showing the Octave prompt and
> output, it seems to interact with Octave by gathering input in a
> text box and then sending it to an Octave subprocess.  So you are
> not really typing at the Octave prompt, and Octave's readline and
> history mechanism is not working.  Is that correct?

Oy. I only very briefly actually used it. I spent more time fighting
its build process to make it work with Debian, but yes. It looks like
you're entirely correct. I hadn't noticed this. Drawback indeed.

> Instead, I think the GUI needs to have Octave running in a way that
> will allow the command editing and history to work normally.  I
> posted about this before, and provided some example code showing how
> this can be done with gtk on systems that have pthreads:
>
>   http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2007-June/003280.html

I see... I read your comments. Looks like a complicated issue.

> Is there nothing similar for Qt?

I'm sure there is. I'm just learning Qt right now. :-)

Matter of fact, I had a question about this in general, interacting
with Octave. I'm thinking about getting a proper debugger for Octave
scripts. Are pthreads the way to interact with Octave? I have no idea
what they are, or if there's a better method.

- Jordi G. H.