Re: print.m: size support for (e)ps terminals

From: Peter Gustafson
Subject: Re: print.m: size support for (e)ps terminals
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:52:37 -0400

Sebastian Schubert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after writing the epslatexstandalone support, someone proposed to also
> support the size option.  Find the patch attached. I created it ignoring
> changed whitespace due to changed alignment of code to make the actual
> changes more visible. The last part between else and endif has to be
> indented probably.
>
> It only supports the ps like terminals as only they have a consistent
> way of changing the size AFAICS.  The way of changing the size was
> different in gnuplot 4.0 (set size before changing the terminal), so I
> think it is ok for now to only support gnuplot 4.2.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

I'm the guilty party who proposed that addition to you (via private
email).  Thanks for addressing my question.  I tried your patch and it
seems to work fine.

Before you sent your patch I had made local modification to print.m a
bit ago and tried to start a thread here

http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2007-July/003591.html

with regard to how size should be specified.  You used "-S5,3" as the
string to specify 5 by 3 inch, in my code I preferred the string style
"-S5x3".

Obviously either way would work... and I couldn't find any matlab
comparable syntax.  So I guess it is up to the maintainer to decide.
However I think "-S5x3" is perhaps slightly more intuitive.  I realize
gnuplot itself uses 5,3... though I think many other programs use the
5x3 style.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

Pete