Re: Making Octaviz compatible with handle graphics

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: Making Octaviz compatible with handle graphics
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:15:40 +0200

> Before I actually commit any more time to this, I thought I might as
> well make it so that it's compatible with Octave's current
> implementation of handle graphics, which was added after Octaviz's
> release (and Octaviz development seems stalled right now, no release
> in almost a year).
>
> Er. So how should I go about doing this?

I suppose you will need to add new objects/properties. All the
object/property code is in src/graphics.{h,cc}. See this mailing list
on small howtos adding to these files.

Currently the handle graphics tree is visible to m-code/c++ by using
the "get" builtin and traversing the "children" properties of
appropriate objects. see that various __draw functions in m/plots.
Once my pending patches are applied (probably after some revisions),
you will have more efficient access to the tree from c++ code.

Shai

p.s. I suggest we add a "renderer" property to the figure object. This
will determine which back-end will render the figure.  values could be
one of  "gnuplot", "octplot", "octaviz" and others could be added as
needed. This way we could have multiple figures open at once with
different renderers and enjoy the benefits of all of them