Re: Short report Cygwin Octave-2.9.13

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Short report Cygwin Octave-2.9.13
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:57:39 +0200

Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> In my opinion, it is questionable to distribute the
> standalone packge like the the octave-forge 2.1.73.
> The MSVC octave-2.9.13 is now officially distributed, I
> think that most windows users use it.

Ok, The Mac version of 2.9.13 is also like this. Eventually I'd like to
see an ability like

pkg install
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/octave/image-1.0.2.tar.gz?download

to install a package directly with a download, and something like

pkg update

to keep the packages up to date. This is the reason the file
http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.md5 exists, as it might be used
to check whether the installed version of a package is up to date. If
this is the case however it is essential that the compilers are include
in your binary package. We can't do the same thing with MSVC compiler
binaries which is why are of the packages are prebuilt and available in
the installer.

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information