Re: Couple comments about image_viewer and path behavior

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Couple comments about image_viewer and path behavior
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:06:53 -0500

Michael Goffioul wrote:
On 8/23/07, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:

First, the path.  I'm trying to come up with a way of locating images and files
in a path, not just function and m-files.  Time and again I've copied files
into a directory I'm working in and start getting duplicate copies of files.
So I'm trying to be more organized about it from now on.  What I'd like is to
create a database of images, say,

~/lib/image/xray
~/lib/image/areal
etc

and then do a link of all such files into some common directory, say

~/lib/image/all

In that "all" directory I will then convert all images to lossless JPEG,
because Octave reads JPEG with imread() or jpgread().

Can't I do something similar to

addpath("~/lib/image/all");

in my .octaverc and have Octave find those files?

Add your path to IMAGE_PATH.

Oh, OK. Thanks Michael. However, that information doesn't seem documented very well. (It's also not very generic, i.e., why not an AUDIO_PATH, etc.?) None of the image-related scripts reference it. Even "loadimage" doesn't seem to reference it. There does appear to be a few references in
doc/interpreter/basics.txi:@code{IMAGE_PATH} found in the environment.
doc/interpreter/image.txi:@DOCSTRING(IMAGE_PATH)
doc/interpreter/octave-config.1:    IMAGE_PATH             MAN1EXT
scripts/image/loadimage.m:  file = file_in_path (IMAGE_PATH, filename);
scripts/miscellaneous/dump_prefs.m:              "IMAGE_PATH";

but I generally don't look at the txi documentation or use dump_prefs().

Dan