Re: Couple comments about image_viewer and path behavior

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Couple comments about image_viewer and path behavior
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:06:54 -0500

Søren Hauberg wrote:
Michael Goffioul skrev:
On 8/23/07, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
First, the path. I'm trying to come up with a way of locating images and files in a path, not just function and m-files. Time and again I've copied files into a directory I'm working in and start getting duplicate copies of files. So I'm trying to be more organized about it from now on. What I'd like is to create a database of images, say,

~/lib/image/xray
~/lib/image/areal
etc

and then do a link of all such files into some common directory, say

~/lib/image/all

In that "all" directory I will then convert all images to lossless JPEG, because Octave reads JPEG with imread() or jpgread().

Can't I do something similar to

addpath("~/lib/image/all");

in my .octaverc and have Octave find those files?

Add your path to IMAGE_PATH.
By the way, this isn't matlab compatible as matlab search for image files in the path that is modified through addpath. So, before we start documenting IMAGE_PATH, perhaps we should change it to simply use the standard path?

I have always wondered why we had a separate path for images. I'm all for getting rid of it.

Quentin