Re: Nonlinear equations chapter

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Nonlinear equations chapter
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:26:18 +0200

David Bateman skrev:
Søren Hauberg wrote:
Hi,
  Attached is a minor patch that extends the example in the non-linear
equations, to also show how to use Jacobians. I think David recently
mentioned that this chapter and the optimization chapter should be
merged. Personally I don't agree with that, so I didn't attempt to do this.

I just felt the optimization chapter was too short to be given the
status of a Chapter and I saw no way of making it longer. Therefore felt
it should be merged somewhere...
Hmm, looking at it that way, I see your point. The non-linear chapter is also quite short, as it essentially only describes 'fsolve'. I guess we could have a chapter called something like, 'Non-linear Optimization and Root-Seeking'. I (think I) see some similarity between the actual algorithms, so perhaps it could be justified. But does it really matter that some chapters are short? A short chapter might give the reader the feeling that Octave isn't well-equipped in the particular topic, so that's a downside to short chapters, I guess...

Søren