Re: Looking for help?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Looking for help?
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:07:34 +0200

Kelly Boswell skrev:
Greetings,

I'm a recent graduate of Electronics Engineering and am now a Software
Engineer for Raytheon.  I decided to take a one-semester break before
going back for my Masters so maybe I can help put a dent in your very
large wishlist before I go back? I'd like to someday help develop an IDE
for Octave (with the wx library) but I think it would be a good idea to
become familiar with the project first.

I'm still not a highly experienced programmer (despite my job title) but
I'm getting better and I think I could be of some help.  Perhaps I could
start with something small such as bug fixes until I become more
comfortable with the project?
Congratulations on the degree :-)
Usually people aren't assigned projects that needs solving, so I don't think anybody will be able to point you to a place where help is needed. However, help is needed in quite a few places, so help is appreciated.

If you want to work on an IDE, I know that John Swensen is doing some work there. You can see his code at http://sourceforge.net/projects/octavede.

Otherwise, I think you should work on topics that interest you. Interest is always the best motivation. But if you just want to get your hands dirty, feel free to look at this bug:

http://www.nabble.com/cellstr%28%27%27%29-returns-wrong-result-tf4251835.html#a12100942

Cheers,
Søren