Re: gnuplot output from print?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: gnuplot output from print?
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:49:15 -0400

On  6-Sep-2007, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| This makes the error go away, but the resulting file is still called
| '=FILE.gp'.

I fixed that.  It was an off-by-one error in the argument processing.

| So, if
| we drop gnuplot at some point in the future, we could still keep the
| support for printing to a gnuplot file (I guess, but the future will tell).

Doing that would mean continuing to maintain the gnuplot-specific
version of drawnow and the functions it calls.  Who will continue to
maintain that?

Although multiple graphics backends is a nice idea in theory, in
practice is causes trouble because each of the backends will be
slightly different, which means that it is likely that the behavior of
graphics code will be different.  I see lots of user confusion
resulting from that.

Multiple backends that do mostly the same thing also means diluting
our already scarce developer resources.